'Twixt Aire and Calder: Navigate the Wakefield District in words and pictures
Welcome to the online archive
Using photographs, maps, memorabilia, prints, and eventually sound and video from the collections of Wakefield Council (WMDC) Libraries and Information Services, local groups and individuals, this online archive of images of Wakefield and District and related areas shows the diversity of life in our area both past and present. The Archive is a freely available valuable learning resource for use by all ages and abilities.
This Archive is funded by a Big Lottery Fund (previously New Opportunities Fund (NOF)) grant of around £100,000 with the support of Wakefield Libraries and Information Services (WLIS). It is part of the "Sense of Place" Yorkshire and Humberside consortium of NOF funded projects which also includes Leeds Libraries and Information Services (Leodis and Athena), North Yorkshire Libraries (Unnetie) and York Libraries (Imagine York).
Latest project news:
Use maps to look for photographs of your area
You can now use
- Google maps to search for where photographs were taken. Take a look at the Google maps, or
- Look back in time at the Wakefield district with Wakefield Council’s collection of historical maps and photographs Here. Use enter a postcode or street name and use the 'Map Features' function to choose the date of the map. (It will show the 1851-1855 map to start with).
From this page you can:
- Search this online database of around 10,000 Wakefield District Images
- View one of our online exhibitions in Heritage Trails
- Learn more about the Archive on the FAQ page
- Find out who gets the credits for this site and its contents
- Read our legal disclaimer of the limitations of this site and its contents
- Follow our series of useful links to partner sites
- Contact us about anything on this site
For your convenience the navigation portal around this page will be accompanying you throughout your visit to help you to get the most out of the site. Please use your browser's back and forward buttons to navigate between the pages.