Stone carving on the old fire and police station, Gill Street, Wakefield



Stone carving on the old fire and police station, Gill Street, Wakefield

Image reference: xl01799

Description: A slide of a colour photograph of the ornate firemen carving on the old fire station on Gill Street, Wakefield. This building was the Tammy Hall, and was built in the late eighteenth century. The hall was sold off and converted between 1877 and 1879 to be used as a police and fire station. A new stone front was built, which included the carvings. Internal Reference: WR Box WA number 89

Keywords: Police station, Fire station, Stone, Sculpture, Wool merchant

Place name(s): WF1, Wakefield

Date(s): 1992

Date added to archive: 20/03/2003

Original rights: Mr P.Wood

Permission rights: Wakefield Local Studies Library

Digital rights: WMDC Libraries and Information Services

Digital publisher: WMDC, Education and Cultural Services, Libraries and Information Services