The neighbouring community of Pontefract was entertained by productions not just in purpose built theatres but also at venues including Pontefract Town Hall, which was built in 1785, and the Assembly Rooms adjoining, built in 1881. Having a stage, the Town Hall, shown here, has always been used by many local amateur drama groups, as well as by touring professional companies; in 1864 there was a Marionette Show, whilst in 1869 a concert was held by the Royal Christy’s – the Queen’s Minstrel Band. Pontefract initially had a stone-built theatre, erected in 1788-89, which was situated between Baxtergate and Gillygate, but in 1837 it was sold for use as a School. The Alexandra Theatre, built in 1906, was situated in Tanshelf. It was a 3-storey building and had orchestra stalls, a pit, a dress circle and a gallery. The Alexandra was converted into a cinema in 1935 and demolished in the early 1970s.